- Talk to the Quester of your Knightly Order.
- Head to the specified dungeon.
- Find the witch and speak to her.
- Head to the town named by the witch.
- Kidnap her great granddaughter from the palace.
- Bring the girl back to the witch.
- Head to the new dungeon named by the witch.
- Find and retrieve the artifact.
Shadows of the Past
Speak to the Quester, who says:
- "A rumor has surfaced as to the whereabouts of an ancient artifact of power. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Are you up to it, (player's guild title)?"
The Quester goes on:
- "I thought I detected the gleam of ambition in your eyes (player's first name). Supposedly, a witch living deep in the bowels of (first dungeon) has discovered a clue about where to find this thing. I'd start with her."
The Quester answers:
- "Not the ambitious type, eh? Some other lucky knight will be sure to snap this one up."
Head to dungeon specified by the Quester and find the witch. Talk to her and she says:
- "I am (witch's name). So, you want (artifact). It is true that I know something of it. You must do something for me if you wish to learn my secret. Long ago, when I was young and your grandfather was less than a gleam in your great grandmother's eye, I gave birth to a daughter. I left the child to be raised by others, but now that my powers are waning, I need an heir. My daughter is long dead, but I have a great granddaughter of the right age named (child's name). Bring her to me within (time limit) days and I will tell you what I know of (artifact). (Child's name)'s parents know nothing of her birthright and will certainly resist any attempt to take her. You will find her in (palace) in (palace town)."
The artifact in question will be Auriel's Bow, Auriel's Shield, or the Lord's Mail; each has a 33% chance of being the object of your hunt. Since you must return to the witch, you may wish to set a Recall anchor at her position.
Travel to the town, find the palace, and enter it. If you enter during its opening hours, between 10:00 and 18:00, you won't need to pick the lock on the entrance door or cast an Open spell. Find the girl, who will be on the palace's first floor, and grab her. As you do so, she screams:
- "What are you doing! I don't want to go with you. Help! Mommy, daddy, help!"
Make a hasty escape, as the palace is crawling with guards. These may be warriors, knights, or battlemages, in any combination. If you loiter too long they will try to stop you, violently. When hit, the first guard shouts:
- "Intruder! Intruder!"
The second guard, when hit, gives you an ultimatum:
- "Put down (child's name) or I will be forced to kill you."
Choose "Yes" to surrender the child, "No"' to refuse and continue fighting. Note that handing the child over will cause you to immediately fail the quest, but allows you to avoid major reputation damage (see below). Bring the girl back to the witch and she tells you:
- "Ah yes, my heir. What did you say it's name was? (Child's name)? Yes, (he/she) will do fine. (Player's name), you have earned the right to pursue (artifact). The stars have told me that the path to (artifact) leads through (second dungeon). That is all I know."
Within Your Grasp
Head to that new dungeon and find the artifact within. It will look like some other rusty dungeon equipment lying on the floor. If you use "Info Mode" (by default the F3-key) you can check any rusty equipment that you find; if you have found the artifact, it will tell you, for example, "You see a Auriel's Bow." Pick it up and your quest is completed successfully.
Upon retrieving the artifact a message pops up saying:
- Your quest is complete.
If you find and pick up the artifact, you will gain reputation as shown below.
|Generic Knightly Order||+5|
If you turn the witch's great granddaughter over to the guards when you are forced to do so, you will gain/lose reputation as shown in the table below.
|Generic Knightly Order||-2|
|City-State the order is located||+6|
|Nobility of the city-state the order is located||+3|
|People of the city-state the order is located||+6|
|All other factions of the city-state the order is located||+3|
If you don't turn the witch's great granddaughter over to the guards when you are forced to do so, you will lose reputation as shown in the table below.
|City-State the order is located||-50|
|Nobility of the city-state the order is located||-50|
|People of the city-state the order is located||-25|
|All other factions of the city-state the order is located||-25|
- Random dungeon monsters
- 5x One Warrior every five in-game minutes (50% chance) once you enter the palace
- 5x One Battlemage every four in-game minutes (25% chance) once you pick up the child
- 5x Two Knights every three in-game minutes (30% chance) once you pick up the child
- According to the questfile there is no time limit for this quest. While you are given a time limit for finding the witch's great granddaughter, the quest is not terminated once it expires. The quest is only terminated when you pick up the artifact or if you hand the girl over to the guards.
- The witch is a member of the Glenmoril Coven and can therefore summon Hircine for you. The costs of the summoning depend on your Reputation with the coven. However, though the option is present, the witch does not offer you any quests.
- Which artifact you receive is determined when you accept the quest, like all components in every single quest within Daggerfall. Thus, it is not possible to reload the game and talk to the witch again if she promises an artifact you don't want; you will still get the same artifact. You only can change the artifact if you get this quest again from a Quester.
- You can embark on a quest for a specific artifact as often as you want, even if you have the artifact already. Therefore you could, for example, have three exemplars of the Lord's Mail at the same time, unlike the artifacts in later Elder Scrolls games.
After you have accepted this quest, and after it ends, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I got a boil the other day ... but it healed."
- "I just had a three hour conversation about the weather."
- "The weather is pretty usual for this time of year."
- "It seems a trifle coolish in (current locale) for this time of year."
- "It sure is a lot warmer today than this time last year."
- "My great aunt is going to a specialist across the Bay."
- "It's always funny what time it gets dark around here."
- "We should erect a war statue around here."
- "The kids these days with their magic. (Oath), I don't know."
- "I had the weirdest dream last night."
- "I heard a great joke. (Joke)"
- "(Joke) Actually, that's a joke."
- "(Joke) Can you explain that to me?"
- "The legal system in (region) has it good points and bad ones."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "So, you won that which you quested for. What would have now?"
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "I haven't anything to say to you, (player's first name)."
- "I wasted my breath talking to you before."
|The Artifact (b0b71y03)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I embarked upon a quest to find a legendary, artifact of power. The only clue (Quester's name) of (knightly order) was able to provide is that a witch hermited in (first dungeon) might know something about it.|
|1||(Date): The witch, (witch's name), in (first dungeon) demanded that I kidnap (child's name), in (palace), in (palace town), her great granddaughter, and bring her to the witch if I am ever to find Auriel's Bow.|
|2||(Date): The witch, (witch's name), in (first dungeon) demanded that I kidnap (child's name), in (palace), in (palace town), her great granddaughter, and bring her to the witch if I am ever to find Auriel's Shield.|
|3||(Date): The witch, (witch's name), in (first dungeon) demanded that I kidnap (child's name), in (palace), in (palace town), her great granddaughter, and bring her to the witch if I am ever to find Lord's Mail.|
|4||(Date): (Witch's name) has told me that the path to Auriel's Shield is through (second dungeon).|
|5||(Date): (Witch's name) has told me that the path to Auriel's Bow is through (second dungeon).|
|6||(Date): (Witch's name) has told me that the path to Lord's Mail is through (second dungeon).|