Helstrom is one of the eight-major cities in the province of Black Marsh, being known as the impenetrable center of the province, where non-Argonians were able to enter. The city is also known for having such a negative reputation, such as having dangerous, yet wonderful alleyways, as well as, the guards having a dangerous reputation.
Layout & Geography
Helstrom is found in the impenetrable center of Black Marsh, also known as the dark heart. Various waterways like the Onkobra River eventually lead into the center of the province, and by extension, Helstrom. As mentioned before, Helstrom is found in an area of Black Marsh where neither man. nor mer could be able to traverse. The marsh is also very dense, where the city of Helstrom is safe enough to avoid an Imperial siege. In the region lies Helstrom Heart-Mud, which is known for being really dark. The Helstrom Ancestor Lizard is believed by some scholars to be the predecessor to the Argonian. Helstrom is neighbored by several settlements, including Alten Markmont in the southeast, Greenspring in the southwest, and Tenmar Wall in the north.
Helstrom's founding is unknown, but the Helstrom Ancestor Lizard, which is presumably found in the area, is a supposed ancestor of the modern-day Argonians. In 1E 2811, Emperor Reman Cyrodiil II had launched a military campaign against Argonia, in the effort to take control. The battle that brought forth the Blackwater War was the Battle of Argonia. The Imperial Legion had won a decisive battle against the Argonians, who had severe casualties while the Empire was taking little damage. Those Argonians would retreat into the deep interior and Helstrom, while the rest of Argonia would face against the Empire in the Blackwater War. When the Blackwater War ended in 1E 2837, the Imperial Province of Black Marsh was founded, and Helstrom was considered a city of the Second Empire. During the Imperial Simulacrum in the late Third Era, the city-state of Helstrom was ruled by King Germanus. It had a rivalry with Stormhold.
Helstrom Footpad in Legends.
- Arena was originally conceived as a fighting game featuring a tournament that took the player to each of Tamriel's cities to challenge different gladiatorial teams. According to a file from that stage of development left behind in the final game, Helstrom's gladiatorial team would have been called "the Pit Daemons".[UOL 1]
- Map of Black Marsh — The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The War with the Trees: Argonia and the Black Marsh — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The Alik'r — Enric Milres
- Helstrom description in Arena
- The Argonian Account, Book 3 — Waughin Jarth
- Stormhold, City of Shadowfen — Cirantille
- Neelo's Notes — Neelo
- The Elder Scrolls Online - Crown Store Showcase (Pets)
- The Blackwater War, Volume 1 — Valenca Arvina, Historian-in-Residence at Gwylim University
- The Blackwater War, Volume 7 — Valenca Arvina, Historian-in-Residence at Gwylim University
- Events of Arena
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.