Orichalcum (also called orichalc) is a gray-green metal used to make weapons and armor. Orcs are famous for their use of this mineral to create orcish equipment. The orichalcum is melded with iron, at a low temperature to prevent the metal becoming brittle. Orcish armor is medium or heavy in weight and usually of superior orcish craftsmanship, although any sufficiently skilled smith can craft it. Orcish weapons were less common during the Third Era and of varying quality. Veins of the mineral are commonly found in Skyrim. Diagna, an avatar of the HoonDing, is called the Orichalc God of the Sideways Blade. He brought orichalc weapons to the Yokudans during the Merethic Era, which allowed them to win the war with the Lefthanded Elves. Yokudans were also known to create Orichalc statuettes depicting Diagna holding a severed head. The Orichalc Tower is possibly made from the metal.[UOL 1]
- Orcish equipment has appeared in TES II: Daggerfall, TES III: Morrowind, TES Travels: Shadowkey, TES IV: Oblivion, TES V: Skyrim and The Elder Scrolls Online. Orichalcum has only appeared in Skyrim and ESO.
- Heavy Armor Forging — Sven Two-Hammers
- Skyrim Smithing skill
- Assumption based on the lack of Orcish weapons in Oblivion, and limited types of weapons in Morrowind
- Conflicting qualities in Morrowind and Skyrim
- Varieties of Faith... — Brother Mikhael Karkuxor of the Imperial College
- Orichalc Diagna Statuette contraband item in ESO
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.
- Nu-Mantia Intercept — Nu-Hatta