Watchers (also called Doom-Truths) are flying tentacled Daedra with a large eye in the center of their body. Watchers are quite nimble, and can shoot beams of energy from their large eye. They are knowledge gatherers and minions found in the service of Hermaeus Mora, modeled after the prince's appearance. They may be the most intelligent of the Daedra, possibly receiving ranks in a hierarchy.[UOL 1] However, they are known to serve other Daedric Princes, such as Molag Bal and Vaermina. Locking eyes with a Watcher is dangerous; a mortal's soul can be eaten away if one stares too long into their large central eye. Some Watchers have a necrotic gaze, causing the skin on a mortal's face to tear away if they stare too long. They are able separate the lies from the truth, which comes in handy to Mephala, adding to her powers of deception.
The term Pocket Watcher refers to watchers that are far smaller in size than the average watcher. These are occasionally kept as pets by some warlocks. Another term used to describle small watchers is Watchling. They are no bigger than a human's fist and are not the offspring of Watchers. They are described as runts of their kind and curiosities as opposed to terrors. It is unknown whether they keep their form forever or eventually transform into the larger versions.
Most watchers, particularly those in service to Mora, are green with orange eyes. The watchers that serve Molag Bal are typically grey with blue eyes. Amaranthine Pocket Watchers are vibrantly hued white/purple watchers with purple eyes that once inhabited the ruins of Zaintiraris until an unfortunate explorer set them free. Given their color and origin, Sheogorath is suspected to hold some sway over them. Powerful watchers can also be red with green eyes. Dagonic Watchers serve Mehrunes Dagon and are red in appearance with yellow eyes and nerves, similar in color to lava, and shoot searing beams of lava. Those in service to Mephala are black with red eyes and highlights.
- For game-specific information on Watchers, see the ESO article.
- For game-specific information on Watchlings, see the ESO article.
- For a list of Watcher names, see Watcher Names
Error creating thumbnail: File missing
A Mephalan watcher
A celestial watcher
- Kyne's Challenge: A Hunter's Companion, Summerset: Watcher
- Appearance in ESO
- Behelir's description of Watchers during Lost in Study
- Watchers' abilities in ESO
- Appearance of Yggmanei and other Watchers serving Molag Bal in ESO
- Appearance of Vaermina's Watcher and other Watchers serving Vaermina in ESO
- Imperial Prison Discipline Records — Warden Arius
- Keshargo's dialogue
- Pocket Watcher pet description in ESO
- Flora and Fauna of the Sever — Anthropus Galia, Mages Guild Researcher
- Watchers in The Flooded Grove quest
- Appearance of Lord Brol in ESO
- Amaranthine Pocket Watcher pet description in ESO
- Appearance of The Ancient One in ESO
- Appearance of Dagon's Witness
Note: The following references are considered to be unofficial sources. They are included to round off this article and may not be authoritative or conclusive.