Morrowind:The Imprisonment of Mastrius
- Meet Mastrius in the Salvel Ancestral Tomb in the Red Mountain region.
- Travel to Bthuand and recover Spell Breaker.
- Return Spell Breaker to Mastrius, along with a Daedra's Heart.
- Agree to lend him your strength (or don't).
- Kill him when he attacks you.
A Gloomy Prison
You may come across the vampire Mastrius in the Salvel Ancestral Tomb inside the Ghostfence during your travels. If you are a fellow vampire you can speak to him and learn that he was imprisoned in the tomb by the goddess Azura and that he may have found a way to escape. Mastrius will ask you to bring him the artifact shield Spell Breaker, and a Daedra's heart. The heart is the easy part, since most Daedra or alchemy shops will have one.
An Ancient Artifact
Spell Breaker is more difficult to obtain, but it can be found in the Dwemer ruins of Bthuand, out in the middle of nowhere, far west of Tel Mora (northwest from the Cavern of the Incarnate). If you have a Levitate spell (or a good Jump spell), get over the fence right outside Salvel Tomb then go a short distance west to the Foyada. This short Foyada leads directly north to Bthuand, right up over the hills at the end. The shield can be found behind some stones at the inner section of the ruins.
Return to Mastrius with the shield and heart and he'll ask you for one more favor...the strength to break the binding spell. Agree and he'll absorb half of your health and fatigue...and then attack you. Whatever happened to honor among vampires? Once you kill him his full suit of ebony armor, along with the Spell Breaker, are yours.
- This quest can only be done when the player is a vampire, as the related dialogue options are not available otherwise.
- You may not get the journal entry which says you have completed the mission after killing him.
- You can fix this with the console command
Journal "VA_VampCurse" 100to clear the quest from your journal.
- You can fix this with the console command
- Mastrius may be unconscious when you find him, because the script on him really damages his fatigue.
- To revive him, re-enter the tomb.
- If you're playing the PC GOTY version, killing him and then resurrecting him with the console also works (though simply re-entering the tomb is easier). After killing him, open the console, click Mastrius' body to select him, and use console command
resurrectto get him back up.
The following Quest_ID and Index codes can be used with the
Journal Console command to manually update the quest to a certain point.
|The Imprisonment of Mastrius (VA_VampCurse)|
|Index||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||While exploring a dungeon in the northern regions of Vvardenfell, I encountered the vampire Mastrius deep within its bowels.|
|20||It seems Mastrius has been locked in this dungeon for centuries. He had terrorized the surface for years until the Daedra Azura intervened. Azura cast a spell on Mastrius, trapping him inside the dungeon and draining him of his strength.|
|30||Mastrius has asked me if I would be willing to help him escape from his prison. If I do, he promises that the two of us can rule the world outside, and will have plenty of mortals upon which we may feed.|
|40||I have agreed to help Mastrius escape from this dungeon. He has told me he needs Spell Breaker, a powerful artifact that will act as a conduit for the spell. I will also need to bring him a daedra's heart, which should give him the strength to break the enchantment.|
|50||I have decided not to assist Mastrius in escaping his prison. I have no wish to meddle in the affairs of this vampire, especially when it concerns a Daedra Prince.|
|55||Mastrius tells me that Spell Breaker is located in Bthuand, a dwemer ruin north of this tomb.|
|60||I have returned to Mastrius with the Spell Breaker and the daedra's heart, and have given them to the ancient vampire. He has asked me to do one final thing for him: he needs to siphon off some of my power for the spell to work.|
|70||I have agreed to allow Mastrius to borrow some of my strength for the spell. Together, he and I can rule the outside world.|
|80||I have told Mastrius I will not allow him to use my power to make himself whole. I have done enough for this vampire.|
|90||After draining some of my health and fatigue, the vampire returned to full strength. He has decided I am no longer necessary, though.|
|100||I have killed Mastrius. He will never again see the outside world.|