Oblivion:Through A Nightmare, Darkly
- Speak with Kud-Ei about her missing friend.
- Follow her to Henantier's House, and ask her about the amulet.
- Equip the amulet, and go to sleep.
- Enter Henantier's Dreamworld; after Henantier speaks to you, find his patience, perception, courage, and resolve.
- Pass all four tests, and you are returned to Henantier.
- You and Henantier are transported back to the real world. Henantier gives you six scrolls as a reward.
A Missing Friend
Speak with Kud-Ei, an Argonian in Bravil's Mages Guild, to learn about her missing friend Henantier. It turns out he is not missing at all, but he has been experimenting with dangerous magic against the regulations of the Mages Guild. This could get him expelled, so Kud-Ei does not want to seek help through regular channels.
Follow Kud-Ei from the Mages Guild to Henantier's house. Speak with Kud-Ei again to learn that Henantier created an amulet that would let him consciously explore his dreams. However, it seems he is now trapped within his Dreamworld. Kud-Ei cannot enter his Dreamworld, because Henantier would dismiss her presence as conjured memory from his own mind, so she needs a total stranger to help him escape. Speak with Kud-Ei again to receive the amulet; equip the amulet, and go to sleep.
You then enter Henantier's Dreamworld; you will lose your entire inventory except for the amulet. Furthermore, the amulet does not allow the use of magic, although any spell immune to Silence, such as Powers, will still work. Upon entering the Dreamworld, you will be approached by Henantier, who seems to have lost valuable parts of his mind that must be found. Remember to look around the house to find extras, including the Alteration skill book The Lunar Lorkhan behind the overturned table at the head of the bed. There are a few health potions downstairs in an overturned cupboard labeled Heal Yourself. These may be useful later.
In total, you will have to complete four tests. The tests of Perception and Patience are located on the upper floor, and the tests of Courage and Resolve are on the lower floor; you can take them in any order. When you complete a test, you will be transported back to Henantier.
Test of Perception
Look before you leap, as this room is filled with traps. Take the torch from the box and start walking the path, taking care not to walk on any suspicious looking tiles. Some have obvious trap triggers on them, while others look like they are crumbling and will cause you to fall into the Abyss. If you step on a pressure plate, stop immediately, as they will cause a rockslide directly in front of you. At the end of the path you will find Henantier's Perception. There are several obvious places to stand and catch your breath.
Test of Resolve
You must defeat two minotaurs from Henantier's Dreamworld. A box provides you with several sets of leveled equipment: heavy armor, light armor, a blade weapon, a blunt weapon, and a lightning staff. After you have defeated the minotaurs, a staircase will appear that will lead you to Henantier's Resolve. Using the lightning staff will allow you to take them down quickly without getting yourself hurt. If your Acrobatics skill is high enough, it is possible to jump up on to one of the four tall columns in the center of the arena where you fight the minotaurs, and then jump up to the platform where the Element of Resolve is located, allowing you to bypass the fight with the minotaurs entirely.
Test of Courage
Here you must dive deep through an underwater tunnel and since you can get turned around because the swimming movements are not that precise, it is one of the more difficult tests. First get a weak potion of the sea from a chest before beginning the Test. Wade in as far as possible before diving in to minimize the time needed to swim halfway through the tunnel to reach the other Potion of the Sea found at the bottom of a shaft. Swim into the tunnel and drink the first potion when you are low on air. Pick up the second and then head north (ignore the green compass arrow) to follow the tunnel to reach the wooden door of the Grotto of Courage at the end of the underwater passage. Henantier's Element of Courage is inside.
Test of Patience
Take the scroll from the box. It contains instructions on how you should walk on the tiles without setting off the traps. Look for a series of identical symbols that form a path from the bottom of the diagrams to the top, and follow that path on the tiles. Past all three sets of tiles, you will find Henantier's Patience. If you're impatient, jumping over a row or two of tiles is also possible, although hazardous due to the Dart Traps that fire when stepping on a wrong tile.
Back to the Real World
After you have completed all four tests, speak with Henantier again, who seems to have regained his wits. He sees the truth in your words and you'll be transported back to the real world. Your inventory will be returned and all items from the Dreamworld are removed.
- This quest is not part of the Bravil Recommendation, although both quests come from Kud-Ei and can be acquired simultaneously. This can be confusing, as it is possible to accept both quests simultaneously. It is not recommended though, as it may result in errors, making finishing one of the quests impossible. It is preferable to finish one before starting the other.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.0.0 of the Unofficial Oblivion Patch; once one quest has been started the other will not start.
- If you are ready to level up and have worn the amulet, when you next sleep you will enter the Dreamworld, unless you have maximized your attributes.
- If you've committed a first murder since last sleeping, Lucien Lachance will appear when you first wake in Henantier's Dreamworld to begin the Dark Brotherhood questline. This may interrupt Henantier's scripted conversation and break the quest.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.5.0 of the Unofficial Oblivion Patch; Lucien can no longer travel to the Dreamworld.
- If you've been suspended from the Dark Brotherhood, when you first wake in Henantier's Dreamworld you will still be attacked by the Wrath of Sithis.
- The texts, translated into the Latin alphabet, are as follows:
A U C H | A F U L | A–A I C | P A W E
H E R O M P | M U M–M–M P | L M–M H I S | M M G A N S | P M–M–M L E | L P J M K M
Q M E G A N S H | Q J H D Q–Q–Q–Q | | | Q–Q–Q–Q–Q M N Q | B V C N Q–Q | R E V T Q P | G F Q–Q–Q–Q–Q S | R T Q H G R F S | J T Q H N S F J
- The underlines show two hidden words in the text: "HERO" and "MEGAN S". Megan Sawyer worked as an environmental artist for Bethesda Softworks; she added her name into the puzzles as a spacer but forgot to remove it later. You can also pick her name out in the second puzzle, but the "E" was replaced with "M" when the path was inserted. The addition of "HERO" appears random.
- The dim background image on the Scroll is a picture of the Birthsign of the Mage.
- Most items are removed from your inventory when entering the Dreamworld, but quest items are merely hidden from view. This means that if a quest item is assigned to a hotkey before entering the dream, it can be equipped as usual.
- If you attack Kud-Ei or attempt to steal before entering the Dreamworld, Henantier will wake up, afterwards simply walking about. He can not be communicated with, and attempting to do so will trigger one of the same messages used when activated during his sleep. You may still go into the Dreamworld and finish the quest.
- If you attack and "ragdoll" Henantier (to the point of almost killing him) he will become completely invisible. This can only by fixed by forcing him awake with the prior bug as with simply reloading he stays invisible.
- You only need to wear the amulet once in order to trigger the script that will send you to the Dreamworld. Even if you take it off, the next time you try to sleep anywhere you will be transported.
- This bug is fixed by version 3.4.0 of the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- If you ask Kud-Ei about the Recommendation quest after starting to follow her, she will not give you the vital information once you get to Henantier's room, instead delivering her line about getting the staff.
- As of version 1.1.x, localized versions (e.g. French or German) of the game seem to have a bug where the scroll from the "Test of Patience" test is completely blank.
|Through A Nightmare, Darkly (MS05)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||I've heard that Kud-Ei at the Mage's Guild in Bravil is searching for assistance in locating a missing friend. A reward is being offered, so I've decided to find out more information.|
|20||I've spoken to Kud-Ei of the Mage's Guild in Bravil. It seems that her friend, Henantier isn't missing after all, but trapped somewhere and Kud-Ei needs my help liberating him. Kud-Ei said to return to her when I'm ready and she'll take me to him.|
|25||(Heading to Henantier's house)|
|30||Kud-Ei has explained that Henantier has become the victim of his own creation, the Dreamworld Amulet. He's trapped inside his own dreams, and I'll need to put on the amulet and go to sleep to enter Henantier's dreams and hopefully retrieve him. When I'm ready to do this, I should speak to Kud-Ei, who will prepare me for the journey.|
|40||Kud-Ei has given me Henantier's Dreamworld Amulet. I need to enter his dream by going to sleep while wearing the amulet. Kud-Ei also warned me that if Henantier is slain in the Dreamworld while I'm there, I'd be killed as well, so I must be careful.|
|50||I've entered Henantier's Dreamworld. To my surprise, I've arrived naked except for the Dreamworld amulet! Not only am I unarmed, but also I've discovered that the amulet is preventing me from using any magic. I'll have to explore this strange place in hopes of finding something to defend myself with.|
|60||I've located Henantier. He seems awfully confused and doesn't understand where he is or how he got here. He did mention that he lost some things. Perhaps they're keys or clues explaining how to exit this bizarre place. I have no choice but to explore the recesses of his Dreamworld and find these objects.|
|70||I've located the Element of Resolve. This must be one of the things that Henantier misplaced. Losing this attribute of his mind must be what's making him so confused. If I can find all of the elements, and bring them back to him, it should restore Henantier's sanity and help him awaken. I should continue searching for other elements if I ever intend to leave this waking nightmare. (If Resolve is the first element to be found) or
I've located the Element of Perception. This must be one of the things that Henantier misplaced. Losing this attribute of his mind must be what's making him so confused. If I can find all of the elements, and bring them back to him, it should restore Henantier's sanity and help him awaken. I should continue searching for other elements if I ever intend to leave this waking nightmare. (If Perception is the first element to be found) or
|72||I've located the Element of Perception, the second Element to be found in Henantier's Dreamword. I should continue searching for more elements. (If Perception is the second element to be found) or
I've located the Element of Resolve, the second Element to be found in Henantier's Dreamword. I should continue searching for more elements. (If Resolve is the second element to be found) or
|74||I've located the Element of Perception, the third Element to be found in Henantier's Dreamword. I should continue searching for more elements. (If Perception is the third element to be found) or
I've located the Element of Resolve, the third Element to be found in Henantier's Dreamword. I should continue searching for more elements. (If Resolve is the third element to be found) or
|75||I've located the Element of Perception, the final element in this bizarre amalgam of Henantier's dreams. I should bring all four elements to Henantier and try to restore his sanity. (If Perception is the final element to be found) or
I've located the Element of Resolve, the final element in this bizarre amalgam of Henantier's dreams. I should bring all four elements to Henantier and try to restore his sanity. (If Resolve is the final element to be found) or
|80||After giving him the four Dreamworld Elements, I've succeeded in convincing Henantier he was in a dream, and we've returned to the real world. I should speak to him now that we're back.|
|90||I've slain Henantier in his sleep. His nightmares are now over.*|
|100||Henantier has thanked me for saving him. As a reward, he's provided me with some of his magic scrolls.|
|200||One of the characters needed to complete this quest has died.|
* Since Henantier is essential, he can not be killed and this quest stage can not be obtained without use of the Console.
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MS05 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.