Oblivion talk:Technical Support/Archive 1
|This is an archive of past Oblivion talk:Technical Support discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page, except for maintenance such as updating links.|
- 1 Random Crash
- 2 Xbox360 Freeze
- 3 Oldblivion
- 4 Mouse wheel reassigner
- 5 Game controller "look" issues
- 6 Codec issues and mpeg2dmx.ax
- 7 Crash issue
- 8 Sound and Video Issues
- 9 Graphics Card
- 10 White Screen While Playing Oblivion
- 11 Crash on open
- 12 Failed Textures or something like that
- 13 Need to use 1.1 shaders with oblivion WITHOUT oldblivion
- 14 Oghma Infinium level-up crash
- 15 Game crashing randomly
- 16 DVD Problems
- 17 Oblivion newly crashes on startup
- 18 Problems Playing Oblivion
- 19 White Screen
- 20 Sewer Crash
- 21 Weird
- 22 Blue and White Boxes
- 23 Oblivion and Construction Set close becasue of a problem
- 24 ritual of dementia, Problems with finding syl.
- 25 HELP PLEASE
- 26 XBox 360 File Date/Time Setting
- 27 Random PS3 Crash
- 28 Second PS3 Crash
- 29 Black Screen
- 30 100%
- 31 Battle Crash
- 32 Could I buy some lag?
- Game randomly crashes, no specific points. High end computer, fresh install.
- The game crashes ('performed an illegal operation...') on exit.
- I found that if you first quit to the main menu, then quit to desktop you do not get this error. [firstname.lastname@example.org]
- You were already quitting the game anyway, weren't you?
- [This does matter. Changes to video and audio settings and updates to the index number for the next screenshot will not be saved when Oblivion crashes on exit. --18.104.22.168 01:05, 22 December 2008 (EST)]
- Some people have reported that using the console 'qqq' command to quit fixes the problem.
- Framerate drops below 1fps during certain special effects (example: Turn Undead spell). Otherwise the game runs fine.
- May be a video card issue, as others with ATI cards have experienced the same issue.
- Disabling the Refraction Shader solves the framerate issue, but replaces spell effects with black blocks, which hinders gameplay.
- You can leave refraction shaders on if you set antialiasing options in the ati control panel instead of in game. You get the refraction effect and no FPS issues.
My Oblivion game freezes about two seconds after completely loading a save file. I only have once character and one save file for that character (I accidently deleted the autosave file when cleaning up the saved games list last time I was on, and a new one hasn't created itself since) so I can't be sure if this is only happening with that one character. has anyone ever experienced this before?—22.214.171.124 18:17, 8 January 2009 (EST)
Would this "mod" be allowed here? It's basically a shader tweak to make Oblivion run on really low end graphics cards (GeForce 3, 4, etc.) and increase performance by downgrading (reverse engineering) the 2.0 shaders to the 1.0 version (the package doesn't modify your original Oblivion install). If it is allowed, where would be the best place to post it? I use the mod myself because my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements, but with Oldblivion I can actually play the game quite well, while maintaining a lot of the visual qualities of the game. Mensch 08:16, 18 April 2006 (EDT)
- I think it should definitely make an appearance in the "performance tweaking" section.--Vook 09:21, 1 May 2006 (EDT)
Mouse wheel reassigner
There was that mod that allowed remapping mouse wheel to switching between sets or hotkeys I think. Anybody remembers the name/link?
Game controller "look" issues
How do I get the right stick of a game controller (logitech, bog-standard Playstation-lookalike controller) to "look" for me (i.e. what the mouse is doing by default). I can assign buttons and the left stick works fine, but without the right-stick-look function it's useless.
- Try xpadder, its a free game pad mapping program that you can map it to the mouse (right stick) and pretty much make any other button equal anything you cn do on a keyboard or mouse. its fantastic! works in vista too!! the only issue i have is that my d-pad is a little messed up now, inthat, when i press left its shows right on the screen, not a big deal though. I only use my d-pad for quick select of wepons and spells. They have most common game pad blank maps avail for download and you just add your button maps. All you do is set up your game pad profile, then leave the program running in the sys try while ou play the game.
- Right Stick issues with PC when using a controller. [Fix]. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 03:58 on 10 September 2010
Codec issues and mpeg2dmx.ax
Dunno how well known this fix is… Anyway, FYI
If you're experiencing random crashes (often when entering or leaving an area) check the debug information. If you see "mpeg2dmx.ax" or, less commonly, "mmswitch.ax" as the culprit, simply go to Windows folder\system32\ and rename both files by adding ".old" to the filename, i.e. mpeg2dmx.ax to mpeg2dms.ax.old
I believe my problem was caused by installing "Universal Codec Pack" some time ago. Problems solved now, except now it crashes on close, though I really don't care. I have heard that uninstalling DVDXCopy Gold also fixes this bug, but I never had it so I can't say...
- i still have the problem you smart computer pplz should figure this out — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk)
Hmm. Interesting. Say, where do you find this debug information? Tiijahk, Ninjasin 184.108.40.206 15:22, 25 June 2008 (EDT)
Having problem with skills...If i get any skill level normally, it is ok... But if i get it from anywhere else (say as quest reward), game will crash on sight.. Anyone has solution for that d of thing? Thanks
Sound and Video Issues
When I played Oblivion for PC, I had a few problems. Sometimes the sound would just dissapear, especially after I attacked someone. Also, after the sewer tutorial, my weapon starts to dissapear and reappear(like flashing) in 1st-person when I exit the sewer tunnels. --220.127.116.11 15:33, 5 January 2007 (EST)
Omg theres hope! finally i found someone that had the same problem! That stinks i have the same problem. Mine eventually stretched every texture. Then i reinstalled and that stops. But the flashing and ringing sounds continued, AARRGH!!— Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk)
Would oblivion EVEN begin to work (with LOWEST settings AND oldblivion) with my comp's gaphics card? it's a Intel extreme graphics II (5 years old)— Unsigned comment by maiq the liar (talk • contribs)
- If you can run Morrowind on the card, then it SHOULD be sufficient for Oblivion (with Oldblivion). Other than that, I couldn't tell you. Actually, I've found Oblivion is MORE stable than Morrowind on my sub-standard hardware, though that may be partly due to differences in how the two games handle memory. (Morrowind remembers every single thing you do everywhere from the moment you make your character. Oblivion resets most cells after a week or so, so it stores less information in your save file, thus using less memory and making the game more stable. At least that's my theory.) --TheRealLurlock Talk 19:53, 13 January 2007 (EST)
- Yeah, that's an integrated graphics card that doesn't even support pixel shaders. Basically, pigs could fly, hell could freeze over, Jesus could return to the earth, and I could get a date, but you'd still be at least 5 miracles short of having that computer run Oblivion even with Oldblivion. --Ratwar 00:15, 14 January 2007 (EST)
- Really dont know...
My parents probably wouldn't let me get MW-PC- We have XBOX GotY. (wierd how its not 360 compatible.)
-m'aiq the liar 23:23, 13 January 2007 (EST)
- Just Great.
An integrated graphics card? Crap. I'd assume that means you can't remove it. *kicks computer* And Nvidias are some 200$ already, I think. Maybe that guy who built his kid a computer down the street can help me get it out.
- Well, you can't remove it, but you can turn it off. Of course, getting a new graphics card would depend on your available expansions slots. --Ratwar 21:52, 14 January 2007 (EST)
- Aaaaand I don't know about that either. (HP pavilion f1703, lols)
-m'aiq the liar 18:37, 15 January 2007 (EST)
- That's actually your monitor's model number. --Ratwar 19:42, 15 January 2007 (EST)
White Screen While Playing Oblivion
When I try playing Oblivion on my computer, (2.4GHz processor, 1GB RAM, Diamond Stealth Radeon 9250 256MB graphics card) the screen is white except for the HUD. I know this is a problem with the graphics card cuz when I went to install the latest driver for it I decided to check how my integrated graphics would handle it. My integrated graphics is a nVidea 128MB, and according to the box my motherboard came in its either a GeForce 6150 or a nForce 430. It does not do that white screen thing on the integrated but runs really slow.
- The Radeon 9250 doesn't support pixel shader 2.0. You'll need to download Oldblivion to get the game to run on the Radeon 9250. Either way, don't expect much of a performance boost from the Radeon, that's an old card. --Ratwar 16:59, 23 January 2007 (EST)
- Actually, on a whole, Radeons are much better for Oblivion than the Geforce series. Your card was just a bit older than dirty.--Ratwar 17:00, 24 January 2007 (EST)
- thanks for the help
- If i use my integrated video with old oldblivion do you think i would get a performance boost. BTY oldblivion worked
- Over the Radeon 9250? I wouldn't bet on it, but I'm fairly sure that it would get a small performance boost over what it did without Oldblivion --Ratwar 17:33, 24 January 2007 (EST)
- Ok, hay thanks allot you guys! I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!
Hi, I'm getting this whitescreen problem with a certain mod (a very popular one at that, Tears of the Fiend). Whenever I enter a dream sequence the game goes pure white while playing but if a character talks to me in the dream then the colour comes back normal. I have an 8800GT 512, AMD X2-3800, 2GB fast DDR RAM and WinXP SP2. I've contacted the author and he's said that in the 2 years of the mod's history he's not heard of this problem, and all my searches show this whitescreen problem to be with low-end cards. I'm playing with HDR, no AA and have tried disabling all mods bar this one, letting oblivion generate a new .ini file for me, but nothing works - it ONLY happens during these dream sequences in this mod. It's driving me crazy!
Crash on open
No matter what I do, Oblivion will not run on the computer in my room. I get a non-specific "encounted a problem and has to close, sucks to be you" error message, and in the details it reads:
Exception Information Code: 0xc000001d Flags: 0x00000000 Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x00000000009caa80 <insert hundreds of lines of random hex codes and other info>
I've reinstalled it, on 3 different hard drives, I've gotten new drivers for EVERYTHING, I run it in a vacuum with no tasks in the background, I turned all the graphics options to the lowest. NOTHING! I also get the same error when I try to run the Construction Set, as well as: Black & White 2, Scorched 3D, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst and America's Army 2.7 runs, but barely and looks REALLY BAD. Also, Civilization IV looks like crap. I have all the latest patches for the above software, as well. I've spent nearly a month doing battle with the Ubisoft guys about Uru, and this isn't user error. I'm running an Nvidia Geforce 7600, if that helps anyone.
-Desperate and Dejected
- You'll need to buy a new video card: the Geforce 7600 isn't supported by Oblivion (see Oblivion FAQs for the supported video cards). --NepheleTalk 23:43, 7 May 2007 (EDT)
- Prepare to welcome another electronics vendor to the world of hurt that accompanies angry female nerds with law classes... Bloody bastards guaranteed the shit would work.. *grumbles and wanders off, smashing things* - Desperate
- Actually, it definitely isn't your video card... What operating system are you running? Windows Vista? --Ratwar 01:52, 9 May 2007 (EDT)
- Thanks for correcting me on that one, Ratwar, and thanks for updating the System Requirements page with all the new cards so it's not necessary to read up on chipset details to make sense of things :) And sorry for the red herring, Desperate and Dejected. I hope you haven't bitten off the heads of too many video card salespeople yet ;) --NepheleTalk 02:36, 9 May 2007 (EDT)
- I hadn't called yet, was just getting out the phone book and thought I'd check back here. In any case, I'm running windows XP Home edition with service pack 2. - Desperate
Hey, I had this exact same problem... did you guys ever find a solution? I admit, I did originally get the error message on a Windows Vista operating system, but now I've downgraded to Windows XP Professional, and I'm STILL getting it... so... Any clue what's going on? - Armeis
- Are you getting the same exact error message as in a Code: 0xc000001d? If so, the problem is most likely caused by RAM being screwed up somewhere. Since the OS appears to be running easily, I'd say it is most likely your video RAM. Download Windows Memory Diagnostic and run it using the instructions on that page. Run the extensive test and see if it comes back with any errors. --Ratwar 21:46, 14 October 2007 (EDT)
Failed Textures or something like that
I recently came across a problem when trying to play Oblivion. I tried loading one of my save files, but before the area completely loaded, the game crashed. When I started a new game to see if there was something else to the problem, the entire area where the game starts in was black. The characters and walls were all just black. The eyes however, were some wierd rainbow around a point. And the cell window along with the room's torch flame were visible. Also, I noticed the Level Up text file looked screwy. Anyone encounter this problem and get a fix for it? Or do I need to reinstall? --22.214.171.124 20:14, 12 May 2007 (EDT)
- Actually, I solved my own problem. Turns out I had my video card forcing Oblivion to run with 1.4 shaders instead of 2.0 shaders. Silly me. --126.96.36.199 02:34, 14 May 2007 (EDT)
Need to use 1.1 shaders with oblivion WITHOUT oldblivion
So I gots me a crappy Nvidia video card... I'm laying that out right now. It's Nvidia Quadro4 700 blah blah blah, its 64 MB memory and has 1.1 shaders I believe. I've been playing oblivion for awhile with oldblivion but recently upgraded oblivion to version 1.2... unfortanetly oldblivion doesn't work with 1.2. And even more unfortanetly a number of mods I really wanted to use REQUIRE 1.2.
I search up the net to find out if it's possible to play oblivion with old shaders without oldblivion. Found this. I change all of the settings it says in the oblivion.ini file, I change the nvidia settings (however, ... "On the Additional D3D settings page, set Max Frames to Render Ahead to 0. I can't overstate this. 0 is your friend here, and is probably the single biggest factor in Oblivion performance I've found so far." ... I couldn't find the addictional d3d settings page on my nvidia control panel... perhaps it's named something else? :P) and I start up oblivion...
Nothing's instantly crashed yet so it's all good. I start a new game, and well, it's weird...
Before I got oldblivion I had graphic problems that from others I found were textbook... everythings black except your characters eyes (all rainbow-y) except with my system everything was white. not much difference. but THIS time I start up the game and I can see the black outline of my characters body, their hair is a combination of cyan and white, and all the walls are rendered white with gray scale texture... aka no texture.
- Well, I can say right now, that fix won't work. If his fix for cards lacking pixel shaders 2.0 worked, people would simply change the .ini file, and not use Oldblivion. His fix apparently doesn't work for textures, which is why your game lacks them. I'm afraid your best option is to wait for a new version of oldblivion. --Ratwar 02:16, 14 June 2007 (EDT)
Oghma Infinium level-up crash
After I have read the Oghma Infinium (The Path of Spirit) and thus got my Strength and Intelligence over 100, the game always crashes after I press the "exit" button in the level-up screen (after choosing 3 attributes to increase). Valaggar 06:06, 17 June 2007 (EDT)
I have the same problem with vampirism. It makes my Speed higher than 100 right after I press "Exit" in the level-up screen, so the Oblivion crashes. Now my character has a bad case of insomnia. Loremdale 04:55, 20 May 2008 (EDT)
Game crashing randomly
Random crashes with error message "Oblivion has stopped working..."
Crashes happen most often upon exit when immediately quitting after arriving at main menu upon game startup.
Can't seem to access the problem. Does not have similar symptoms as most diagnosed crash cases in forums on google search.
I think it's a new strain of bugware affecting high-end users where a godly computer is not enough.
Game Specs Oblivion V.1.2.0416 1680x1050 no AA, on HDR Lighting and Ultra High Detail settings.
System Specs Vista 32-Bit Core2Duo E6420 (no oc) Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX (factory oc 610/1000) 2x 1GB DDR2/667 ram CM RealPower 450W psu
Judging from my specs everything should be fine, i'm well above the recommended specs, yet it crashes. I suspect it's the vista os.
But I may have missed something. Oh, the frustration -_-'
--188.8.131.52 03:25, 21 June 2007 (EDT)
- Hmmm, Vista is definitely the cause of the errors upon exiting Oblivion. They had the same problem with Oblivion on XP, but that was eventually patched. I haven't worried about it much, as in game crashes don't appear to be noticeably increased. --Ratwar 00:18, 21 June 2007 (EDT)
- The crash on exit I can live with. As a matter of fact, the Unofficial patch I just installed fixed this. Unfortunately i'm still crashing after a random amount of game play, or immediately upon loading a game. Nothing more perplexing than having a high end PC unable to smoothly run your favourite games. And you think your problems end when you upgrade your PC... --184.108.40.206 03:25, 21 June 2007 (EDT)
To fix this you just have to add the Oghma infinium to your quick keys in the inventory and activate the book that way ^_^ the bug is rendered useless now happy gaming
Ever since I bought Oblivion, the DVD takes 2 or 3 minutes to spool up before the computer recognizes it. I can hear the reader inside the DVD moving and searching the disk. After the 2 or 3 minutes the drive picks it up fine and works like normal. I also have Shivering Isles, and the DVD isn't even recognized. The drive has never had any problems with any other disks, and continues to work for everything but the Oblivion DVD’s. Is there some kind of protection on the disk that is causing problems for the drive? Has anyone had this problem before? Are there any solutions to this bizarre problem?
- I used to get that kind of problem - not with Oblivion - on my old computer. Some discs would work and others wouldn't. The list of non-working discs grew until nothing would work at which point I bought a new DVD drive and everything was fine. In other words, my drive was gradually failing. I'd say the solution is to buy a new DVD-ROM. If you can try your disc in a different drive, that might confirm or rule out this suggestion. --RpehTalk 09:33, 9 July 2007 (EDT)
Oblivion newly crashes on startup
I'm sorry to post this here, because i'm not sure if it's the right place to put it, but I'm desperate. If you have any suggestions of Solutions, I'd be grateful
Problem: I click on Oblivion.exe, and the Launcher appears. With only Oblivion.esm selected, I click Play. A small window appears in the upper-left corner of my monitor. Then the screen goes black. So far so good. I'm expecting the "Bethesda" video. However, I get my Desktop instead, with an error message telling me that "Oblivion has encountered a problem and needs to close." I've been having this problem since I was trying to create a mod with TCS and accidentally loaded it along with another .esp (Glenvar Castle, to be precise). Upon trying to save, I was given the errors: "assert at C:\Projects\TES4\TES Shared\TESObjectCell.cpp,1545" and "Failed to CreateGroupData for CELL form 'Wilderness' (00006027)". I also get the error "Shader 1 is leaking with 2 references on shutdown" when I try to quit TCS...
Things I've tried:
- Reinstalling Oblivion (3 times)
- Backuping the Oblivion folder and installing it again
- Emptying My Documents/My Games/Oblivion and restarting it
- Uninstalling "Operation Optimization"
- WinXP SP2
- Intel Pentium 4, 1.8GHz
- 768 MB
- Video: RADEON 9600 Series, Omega drivers latest, 256 MB
- Oblivion: Latest Patch + Operation Optimization
Thanks, 220.127.116.11 06:56, 8 July 2007 (EDT)
- I got the same problem too and i cant find a thing even if some 1 can post a link for a site that helps or somehting cause im geting really anoyed cause
- i just spent all my allowance on it if any body can help plz do so just edit here — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 10. September 2008
A friend of mine is also having this problem. Help please! 10/11/08.
- I had the same problem until about half an hour ago. I tried everything up to and including reinstalling Oblivion from scratch. Finally, after uninstalling Oblivion for...I think it was the eighth time, I found out that the My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder was still there. So I deleted it and reinstalled Oblivion, and now it works! Of course, you mentioned that you've already tried something like that, so it might not work for you. But for anyone else having a similar problem, try that first. If that doesn't work, search for any Oblivion-related file left on your computer after uninstalling and try deleting that. I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by corrupted files, and that they aren't deleted when you uninstall the game. -Rycr 15:27, 19 April 2009 (EDT)
FIXED .... for me atleast
1. Open oblvion
3.Set resolution to 1280 x 1284 ( highest one )
4. Launch oblvion
Problems Playing Oblivion
When I have installed oblivion and I click play it says there is no disk in drive d: but I have oblivion in the dvd drive what do I do
- Does your computer have multiple DVD or Hard Drives? --Ratwar 14:28, 18 October 2007 (EDT)
I am using an External DVD Drive
- Well, then you need to select that drive on the screen where it says 'there is no disk in drive d:' --Ratwar 17:55, 19 October 2007 (EDT)
How doI do that
- (Yeah, old question. I had a similar problem once, so this might help someone else.)
- There isn't anywhere to "select" a drive for Oblivion to look at. If it's looking at the wrong drive, you'll have to actually change your drive letters so that the DVD drive you're putting your disk into will be called whatever the drive Oblivion is looking at is called now. Here's how to do it in Windows XP (you will probably need to be an admin to do this): go to start menu>control panel>administrative tools>computer management. In the left pane of the window this brings up, select Disk Management (it's under Storage). This will make a list of your drives appear in the right pane. Right-click the one that's called d:\ right now.* Select "change drive letter and paths" from the context menu that pops up. Click the button that says "change." In the drop-down box full of letters, pick one that's not taken by any drives yet. Hit OK and OK again. Now right-click the drive your Oblivion disk goes in. Do the same thing again, renaming that one to D. Oblivion should now see your disk and allow you to play.
- You'll probably want to change it back when you're done playing, because other programs may know where to expect your DVD drive to be. If the drive originally in d:\ was a hard drive, you probably have things installed on it that expect all their files to be on d:\ as well.
- *Two problems can happen here: 1) d:\ could be the drive you boot Windows from. If that's the case, you're screwed. In theory, you can tell Oblivion to look at another drive letter by changing a registry key, but I never found the one. 2) d:\ could already be the DVD drive you put your Oblivion disk in. If that's the case, renaming things makes no sense to do. Your problem is either a broken DVD drive or a very scratched disk. Hope you made a backup. --22.214.171.124 01:26, 22 December 2008 (EST)
When I try to play oblivion on my computer, everything works fine until I'm actually playing. The screen is white, and I can barely see the tan cups and bones on the ground. I have a radeon 9100 videocard, and oldblivion does not work. I just got oblivion for my birthday and im really annoyed. Somebody please help! — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk)
- Oblivion has very steep requirements for the video card. If you don't have a video card with the features that Oblivion needs, then there's no way anybody can help make Oblivion work. You'll have to upgrade your video card; System Requirements provides a complete list of which video chipsets work. --NepheleTalk 11:01, 8 November 2007 (EST)
Nephele, this is the third time you haven't understood what I'm saying. According to the box, my card meets the system requirements, and even though it doesn't work it should work with oldblivion according to the site.Please don't treat me like I'm stupid!-Mr. V 15:11, 8 November 2007 (EST)
- My apologies that in responding once I've somehow managed to disappoint you three times. I'm just trying to help by providing what information I know in response to the question that I see written. If you're finding that your questions aren't getting answered the way you'd like, you could try wording your questions more carefully so that there's less chance of them being misinterpreted.
- As for the question at hand, I'm not sure where you're seeing that a radeon 9100 card is supported by Oblivion. On the box, I do not see any mention of the 9100 series, nor do I see it listed at Oblivion FAQs. The lowest numbered radeon card that I can see in either place is the 9500 series. On the System Requirements page I can only see the 9000 and 9200 series, both of which are listed as Oldblivion only. I'll admit to having a hard time keeping track of video chipsets, but it seems reasonable to assume that the 9100 series would fall in the same class as the 9000 and 9200 series and therefore would not qualify as meeting Oblivion's requirements. So I don't understand why you say that "According to the box, my card meets the system requirements".
- Oldblivion is a third-party product that might not work for any of countless reasons, and your initial question gave no information about the errors that you received or other problems that you had related to Oldblivion, making it pretty hard to provide any type of response as to what the problem might be. And this is not an Oldblivion support site. But just to throw out one bit of information, I have heard that Oldblivion no longer works if you have installed the most recent Oblivion patches. Therefore if you wish to use Oldblivion, you probably need to stick to an original release of the game and you will not be able to install Shivering Isles.
- Nevertheless, I'll still stick to my original advice: your best option is to upgrade your video card. There is very little that can be done to work around not having the right hardware. --NepheleTalk 16:09, 8 November 2007 (EST)
Oldblivion does nothing to change the game, and i'd love to change my video card, but I play on a notebook so unfortunately that's not possible.My video card Seems that it is supported since it is direct 3d and has 128 mb
When I go into the sewers when I start the game after the emperor is killed, the game crashes. Anyone know why? If you do would you tell me how to fix it?
- I'd suggest a reinstall. --Ratwar 12:03, 10 November 2007 (EST)
- This has to do with the shaders (and your graphics card I guess). I have had the same problem (playing the game on an Intel chipset). The following may work: Download your latest drivers. If the game still crashes, open your Oblivion.ini file. Press ctrl+f and search for 'bUseWaterShader'. Switch it to 0. You will now have purple water in the game but your game should work. - Roguelike
i have just installed shivering isles and removed alot of mods. Its all ok until random crashes in certain areas (waterfront, once in weynon priory) But when i get the xerxes book and go to the temple after jauffre talks to me, the colors either invert or become completely illegable?
hey i have a question?
i have recently installed oblivion on my new windows vista and i tried to transfer the save file from my old computer to the new one through a burnable disk. then when i try to load the save file it says "master are not loaded that need to be loaded" or something like that. I had the master file checked. so i tried putting the master file from my old computer onto the new one and that still didnt work im sort of stumped right now if i could just get the that save file to work i could back back ups
- Okay, you're dealing with two different meanings for "master". You think it means master as in Oblivion.esm. Understandable, but actually, that error message means your save file's masters. A save's masters are every single .esp and .esm you had loaded when you saved. Depending on how many mods you had and how big they were, you might be able to play just fine without them. (For example, if one just added a couple of simple items to the game world, you should be able to keep playing and you just won't have those items anymore. But if you had big overhaul mods, or your character was a race that you added with a mod, you're better off starting over than trying to continue that save without those mods.) If you ever need to be completely sure that you can transfer a game to a new Oblivion install, you should back up your entire Oblivion\Data\ directory (which can be huge, so I'd just resign myself to starting over instead) along with your saves. --188.8.131.52 01:37, 22 December 2008 (EST)
Blue and White Boxes
I have been playing oblivion for about a month with no problems, but randomly the screen became full of light blue and white boxes that fill the screen like a grid and distort everything. When it first happened i moved to another area and it went away but now it never goes away and i cant see anything. It now happens from the first screen with 'continue' 'load' etc. Im thinking it may be to do with the graphics card as it is happening in other games too. Any ideas?
Oblivion and Construction Set close becasue of a problem
Every time I try to run Oblivion or the construction set a little box pops up and says a problem has stopped the program from working. I don't know how to fix this, I also checked for solutions on my computer and there are none and when I check details it says:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Oblivion.exe
Application Version: 0.1.0.228
Application Timestamp: 44045dcb
Fault Module Name: Oblivion.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.1.0.228
Fault Module Timestamp: 44045dcb
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000912a6
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 0eae
Additional Information 2: b3dc102780efcf1b7b4974e586c26bcf
Additional Information 3: ab03
Additional Information 4: 7efa2b3b01f9af15f1b27828b4a76d13
Does any one know what to do?
- Hmmm... You're running Windows Vista, right? Does the account you're using have administrator access? Oh, and what graphics card are you using? --Ratwar 13:47, 19 December 2007 (EST)
I just got the computer on Sunday, and it is an administrator account I'm on. The graphics card is Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family.
- Yeah, the graphics card is your problem. It won't run on that, and since you appear to be using a laptop, you can't really upgrade it. --Ratwar 16:00, 19 December 2007 (EST)
Ok...thanks for the help.
>>i have same problem, my pc pentium4 3.0 ,nvidia6200tc ,ram 1gb. first, i installed it and no problem happened, but two months later when i uninstaled it , this problem occured. What must i do?
Please indent your posts according to what it's replying to, and sign your comments with —~~~~ (Alt+0151 for the —) Sorry I couldn't help you.—Sam324 20:16, 4 April 2008 (EDT)
ritual of dementia, Problems with finding syl.
Question has been moved to more appropriate location, namely Shivering talk:Ritual of Dementia#Problems Finding Syl --NepheleTalk 02:18, 2 February 2008 (EST)
My Oblivion crashes on opening. I read the problems others have had but my problem doesn't seem to be any of these. Oblivion opens. I go to "load" a saved game. It loads, the "tips" come up and when the bar is full (completely loaded) the screen goes blank for a few moments, then returns to my desktop with the little error message. This is what the error message says:
Error signature: AppName:oblivion.exe AppVer:184.108.40.2061 ModName:oblivion.exe ModVer:220.127.116.111 Offset:001435e1
I know that the game works just fine with my computer. I've spent many hours on it collectively. I rarely play the game for more than an hour at a time, but I really love to relax at night and play. If anyone can help, please help me. Even if you know what the problem is, but can't do anything about it, tell me what it is so I can figure something out. I'm so sad and frustrated.
Garnet e-mail= email@example.com
- Does this problem occur with all saves, or just specific saves? --Ratwar 01:04, 4 February 2008 (EST)
- Some saves are just like the one described. The rest load the game and it works for 30 seconds to 2 minutes before giving the black screen and error message. Sometimes these ones make my computer freeze completely.
- That's odd, very odd. I'd recommend posting about your problems over here: http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=23
- I really don't know the problem, but the people over there may be able to help you. --Ratwar 02:24, 4 February 2008 (EST)
- Alright. I did that. Thanks.
XBox 360 File Date/Time Setting
- My most recent savegames do not appear at the top of the list any more, but instead appear randomly further down the list of saved games.
- On the 360 there is a chance it may be because the date and time are not set correctly.
- Set the date and time correctly.
Random PS3 Crash
What happened: As I exited a shop, the screen went black in the transition and there was a few seconds of music before the PlayStation became completely unresponsive. I had to turn it off as a result. The loading screan may have popped up and suddenly reappeared, but I don't remember everything in detail.
What I was doing at the time: Having finally gotten around to finishing Unfriendly Competition, I was running back and forth between the Market District and Green Emperor Way to sell stuff I pillaged off of the corpses of Agarmir and his gay boyfriend.
Other Details: This is the first time either the game or the PS3 (they're both fairly new) has ever crashed on me. I noticed earlier in the same session of gameplay that a few greeting voiceovers were possibly broken, a greeting would suddenly stop after the first syllable or there was no voiceover at all.
My thoughts I think the broken voiceovers could be a result of me interrupting a loading or saving process at some point in time, but the problems only appeared within the last several minutes of the session. (Gromir the Wasted) 18.104.22.168 14:17, 17 May 2008 (EDT)
Second PS3 Crash
What happened: The game froze silently in the middle of battle. Different from the last crash, as the screen froze. The last one had the screen go to black. Again, the PlayStation was completely unresponsive.
What I was doing at the time: Travelling through the Jerall Mountains to Bruma (I have a severe bounty on my head, so guards will attack me upon sight. I was going to sneak into Bruma, fence stuff to Ongar, and get money to pay my bounty back to Armand.). I was attacked by some bears, and by a stroke of luck led them to a Daedric Shrine, whose worshipers helped me fight the bears. The game froze in the middle of battle.
Other Details: I heard some corrupt sounds during the battle, the EEEN-SCREECH-STATIC sounds you sometimes hear if some idiot takes a game out of a gameboy while it is still on. I think they may have been sound files that belonged to the Daedra worshipers, because the bears didn't make them. THe incomplete voiceovers I heard shortly before the first crash didn't occur again after said crash.
My Thoughts: I definitely think I've corrupted something at one point in time. Or, because the previous crash occurred while loading the game, said crash may have damaged the game by accident. (Gromir the Wasted) 22.214.171.124 18:15, 23 May 2008 (EDT)
I get a black screen when i am in sneak and looking around at different things around the room. Sometimes it is a chest, or table but it is not too bad. It is just weird and i dont know what to do about it --126.96.36.199 20:56, 13 May 2008 (EDT)
- I have the same problem, the blank screen is triggered by looking at random objects, sometimes even parts of the walls. I figured that when you have you weapon drawn while sneaking this problem is not present. Loremdale 04:44, 20 May 2008 (EDT)
- I also have this problem on my newer nVidia 8800GT, but it was never a problem on the 6800. I don't know if it might be a driver issue, or a hardware issue, or what. But it seems to be video-related in some manner, so I thought I'd add that to the discussion. Also, it seems that it's location-related, as the few times I've gotten it elsewhere, it'll be a different colour...like in Oblivion itself (the realm, not the game), it's red. --Robin Hood (Talk • E-mail • Contribs) 14:31, 20 May 2008 (EDT)
- I'm having the same problem. nVidia 8600GT, certain views cause a blank screen. I have only observed the effect in interior cells. It occurs only when the camera is pointing in very specific directions. Changing the Camera height by jumping or crouching can 'pop' the screen back to rendering, moving has a similar effect. I cannot find a pattern to predict the blank screen. --Dobbs_Head 10:07, 22 June 2008
- It seems I've developed some new information on this topic. First, thanks to this mod, I now know that turning Interior Shadows down to 0 (all the way to the left) "cures" the problem. What's more important to note, however, is that an out-of-the-box installation of Oblivion does not exhibit this behaviour! As soon as I installed Shivering Isles, however, the behaviour occurred. Noticeably, if you rename the Data\Shaders folder, the problem occurs all the time in any mode, so that may be related, or it might just be a red herring. Hopefully this will help lead to a solution. --Robin Hood (Talk • E-mail • Contribs) 01:21, 27 June 2008 (EDT)
[first time poster, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place/ breaking etiquette] I experienced black screen with an evga gtx 285. I never used HDR - I was using bloom with full antialiasing - and I was using a number of different companion, house and npc/pc texture mods. the black screen fixer mod didn't work. The solution came when I altered the graphics in-game then quit and restarted. Up to this point I had altered graphics at the load screen. That may have been what changed it. I don't know if that was the solution but so far its worked! -Romansoldier
During play, Oblivion just frezzes. When I go to the Task Manager, (I have Vista by the way, and a Quad Core) it shows that the cpu was running at 100% a tiny while ago, most likely when Oblivion froze. Can anyone help? Please? ( I did the multi-threading tweaks if that helps.) 188.8.131.52 12:59, 3 June 2008 (EDT)
My game sometimes makes something go wrong, and I have to alt tab in and then out of the game to fix it, and most of the time, it doesn't work, or I'm dead.
It only happens in battles with enemies that cast spells, and ALWAYS happens if I cast Minor Healing.
bsound and bmusic are both turned off. I'm using oldblivion, else everything is white. Help please? 184.108.40.206 14:18, 25 June 2008 (EDT)Tiijahk, Ninjasin.
FIXED! If anyone else has this problem, use the spellstrip mod!
Could I buy some lag?
Whenever I get in a weapon store, my game starts lagging. It's probably the weapons, because when I look down (or up), it doesn't lag, and when looking at some weapons it doesn't lag either, like when I drop my own weapons and look at them. Why, and can/how do I fix it?
- Sounds like a driver issue, what graphics card are you using?--Ratwar 11:35, 3 July 2008 (EDT)
I have no idea, but it didn't happen before I installed some mods. It's probably OOO, but if I can fix it by deleting it, then screw it. I have robbed two weapon stores even with the lag. But how do I check my driver?
|Prev: None||Up: Oblivion talk:Technical Support||Next: Archive 2|