|Gold||500 (+500 Investor; +1000 Master Trader)|
|Sells||See Standard Merchandise|
|Buys||Spells (Books, Clothing, Daedric Artifacts, Jewelry, Scrolls, Soul Gems, Spell Tomes, Staves)|
|Primary Skills||Destruction, Restoration, Alteration, Conjuration|
|Essential||Yes (until stage 30 of The Whispering Door)|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionWhiterun; DragonsreachOccupants; During sieges, staff and family hide.; Farengar spell vendor; JobCourtWizardFaction; JobMerchantFaction; TownWhiterunFaction|
Farengar Secret-Fire, a Nord elemental mage, is the court wizard of Jarl Balgruuf the Greater. He advises the Jarl when Whiterun is facing a magic-based threat. He is also doing research into dragons and will ask you to retrieve a dragon tablet, found in Bleak Falls Barrow. As a court mage, he is one of the few people outside of the College of Winterhold who will sell you spells. Farengar can possibly be killed during The Whispering Door quest.
Farengar wears blue mage robes and a pair of boots. He is equipped with an iron dagger and carries a selection of common loot and gold. During the quest The Whispering Door, he also carries a copy of the key to said door. He knows the Destruction spell Firebolt.
- Bleak Falls Barrow: Retrieve the Dragonstone.
- Dragon Rising: Investigate a dragon sighting near Whiterun.
- Enchanting Tutorial: Use an Arcane Enchanter.
- Salt for Arcadia: Farengar asks you to deliver some frost salts to Arcadia.
- The Fallen: Capture and interrogate an ally of Alduin.
- The Whispering Door: Investigate Nelkir's story of a Whispering Lady behind a locked door.
Expecting that your business involves the current war, he will greet you with, "Come to Dragonsreach to discuss the ongoing hostilities, like the rest of the 'great warriors'?" He will then elaborate on the subject: "It seems this damnable conflict has claimed everyone's passions of late. Me, I prefer my books, and my spells." He will also discuss his passion for the magical arts: "There's a tranquility in magic, don't you think? It is simply energy, to be harnessed by those with the will and knowledge to do so."
If you go near him before you have completed the Bleak Falls Barrow quest he will somewhat rudely comment by either saying "I thought you were already on your way to Bleak Falls Barrow, the Jarl is not a patient man and neither am I." Or when exiting the conversation he will say: "Away with you!"
He can be questioned about a couple of topics:
- Where can I learn more about magic?
- "A prospective student, are you? Well, I'm afraid I'm not much good at teaching. You should try your luck at the college of Winterhold."
- Have you encountered any dragons?
- "Sadly, no. My work affords me few opportunities for such an adventure. Perhaps some here will bring one to Dragonsreach, like Olaf One-Eye once did. What a fascinating conversation that would be!"
- Do you owe allegiance to the Imperials?
- "If I said that was a tedious question, would you be smart enough to know what I meant? Probably not. As long as I'm left alone to pursue my research, I don't care who gives the orders. Now, I'm a busy man and your questions are boring me terribly. Good day."
- What are the duties of a court wizard?
- "I'll put it simply, so you'll understand. I advise the Jarl in matters of magic. If the hold is faced with any threats or mysteries of a magical nature, I am called upon to explain things and suggest a course of action. Hopefully that answer will satisfy you. Good day."
When exiting a conversation:
- "You know, if you've got the aptitude, you should join the Mages College in Winterhold…"
Bleak Falls Barrow
After thanking you for coming to him with your concerns about Riverwood's safety, Jarl Balgruuf will introduce you to Farengar: "Come, let's go find Farengar, my court wizard. He's been looking into a matter related to these dragons and... rumors of dragons."
As you are walking over to see Farengar, he'll say, "I'll introduce you to Farengar. He can be a bit... difficult. Mages. You know." or "Farengar is probably puttering around in his lab. Day and night. I'm not sure he ever sleeps." When he gets to Farengar's lab, he'll say, "Farengar, I think I've found someone who can help you with your dragon project. Go ahead and fill him/her in with all the details." If you've previously spoken with Farengar, he'll say, "Farengar, I see you've already met my new friend here. I'm sure you two will get along famously."
Balgruuf: "This is a priority now. Anything we can use to fight this dragon, or dragons. We need it, quickly. Before it's too late."
Farengar: "Of course, Jarl Balgruuf. You seem to have found me an able assistant. I'm sure he/she will prove most useful."
Balgruuf: (to you)"Succeed at this, and you'll be rewarded. Whiterun will be in your debt."
Farengar will then take over the conversation: "So the Jarl thinks you can be of use to me? Oh yes, he must be referring to my research into the dragons. Yes, I could use someone to fetch something for me. Well, when I say fetch, I really mean delve into a dangerous ruin in search of an ancient stone tablet that may or may not actually be there." You now have three possibilities to respond:
|Dialogue Option||Farengar's response|
|"All right. Where am I going and what am I fetching?"||"Straight to the point, eh? No need for tedious hows and whys. I like that. Leave those details to your betters, am I right?"|
|"What does this have to do with dragons?"||"Ah, no mere brute mercenary, but a thinker - perhaps even a scholar? You see, when the stories of dragons began to circulate, many dismissed them as mere fantasies, rumors. Impossibilities. One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible. But I began to search for information about dragons - where had they gone all those years ago? And where were they coming from?"|
|"Just tell me what you need me to do."||"You are eager to begin your adventure. Excellent. The sooner begun, the sooner done, eh?"|
Regardless of your choice, your next question will be to ask what he needs you to do. He will tell you, "I, ah, learned of a certain stone tablet said to be housed in Bleak Falls Barrow - a 'Dragonstone,' said to contain a map of dragon burial sites. Go to Bleak Falls Barrow, find this tablet - no doubt interred in the main chamber - and bring it to me. Simplicity itself." If you already have the Dragonstone in your possession, you can hand it over to him. Farengar will be pleased by your preparation "Ah! The Dragonstone of Bleak Falls Barrow! You already found it! You are cut from a different cloth than the usual brutes the Jarl foists on me." If you don't have it with you, Farengar will now offer you his normal dialogue options.
When you return from Bleak Falls Barrow with the Dragonstone, you will observe a conversation regarding the book Holdings of Jarl Gjalund between Farengar and his "reliable source", who is Delphine, the innkeeper of Riverwood:
|Farengar:||"You see? The terminology is clearly First Era or even earlier. I'm convinced this is a copy of a much older text. Perhaps dating to just after the Dragon War. If so, I could use this to cross-reference the names with other later texts."|
|Delphine:||"Good. I'm glad you're making progress. My employers are anxious to have some tangible answers."|
|Farengar:||"Oh, have no fear. The Jarl himself has finally taken an interest, so I'm now able to devote most of my time to this research."|
|Delphine:||"Time is running, Farengar, don't forget. This isn't some theoretical question. Dragons have come back."|
|Farengar:||"Yes, yes. Don't worry. Although the chance to see a living dragon up close would be tremendously valuable... Now, let me show you something else I found... very intriguing... I think your employers may be interested as well..."|
|Delphine:||"You have a visitor."|
|Farengar:||"Hmm? Ah, yes, the Jarl's protege! Back from Bleak Falls Barrow? You didn't die, it seems."|
At this point, Farengar will approach you and take the Dragonstone from your inventory: "Ah! The Dragonstone of Bleak Falls Barrow! Seems you are a cut above the usual brutes the Jarl sends my way. My... associate here will be pleased to see your handiwork. She discovered its location, by means she has so far declined to share with me." He will then turn his attention back to Delphine:
|Farengar:||"So your information was correct after all. And we have our friend here to thank for recovering it for us."|
|Delphine:||(to you) "You went into Bleak Falls Barrow and got that? Nice work. (to Farengar) Just send me a copy when you've deciphered it."|
After this acknowledgment, Delphine will return to studying the copy of Holdings of Jarl Gjalund on the table. If you try to speak to her, it quickly becomes clear that she has nothing more to say to you for now.
Irileth will shout for Farengar to come once the Dragonstone has been handed to him:
- Irileth: "Farengar! Farengar, you need to come at once. A dragon's been sighted nearby. (to you) You should come, too."
- Farengar: "A dragon! How exciting! Where was it seen? What was it doing?"
- Irileth: "I'd take this a bit more seriously if I were you. If a dragon decides to attack Whiterun, I don't know if we can stop it. Let's go."
Once the conversation between Jarl Balgruuf and the Dragonborn is over:
- Farengar: "I should come along. I would very much like to see this dragon."
- Balgruuf: "No. I can't afford to risk both of you. I need you here working on ways to defend the city against these dragons."
- Farengar: "As you command."
If you do not immediately release Odahviing after capturing him in Dragonsreach, Farengar will make an appearance to introduce himself to the dragon and attempt to perform "tests" on him but will flee when the trapped dragon demonstrates his fire breath out of frustration:
- Farengar: "Incredible! Uh… sir, you have no idea how long I have waited for such an opportunity! I would be most appreciative if you would permit me to perform some, ah, tests on you. Purely in the interests of the advancement of knowledge."
- Odahviing: "Begone, mage. Do not test my promise to the Dovahkiin."
- Farengar: "I assure you, you will not even notice me. Most of them are hardly painful at all to a large dragon such as yourself."
- Irileth: "Farengar, very bad idea. Even for you."
- Farengar: "Surely you won't miss a few scales… or a small amount of blood…"
- Odahviing: "Joor mey! What are you doing back there? Yol… Toor…Shul!"
- Balgruuf: "Farengar! Enough, fool!"
Salt for Arcadia
Farengar can ask you to deliver frost salts for him:
- Are you the only wizard in Whiterun?
- "I believe I am, yes. Technically speaking, of course. The city is also home to a priest, priestess, an alchemist, and I'm sure others who practice. Ah, that reminds me. Speaking of alchemists, I have some frost salts for Arcadia. She asked me to obtain them for one of her potions. Would you be so kind as to deliver the frost salts for me? I'm sure Arcadia will provide some form of recompense…"
- I'll deliver the frost salts for you.
- "Good. You're clearly better suited than I am to carry out such a menial task."
- Do I look like a courier to you?
- "Well, let's see… travel-stained clothes, worn soles, blank and unintelligent expression… Yes, in fact you do."
- "Ah, a student of the craft. You'll need to start by learning an enchantment. Take an enchanted weapon or piece of armor, then use the Arcane Enchanter to learn its secrets. The item is destroyed in the process, so be wary. Once you know an enchantment, you'll need a filled soul gem, and something to enchant. You'll use the Arcane Enchanter for that, too. Of course I have everything you need for sale, if you have the coin."
The following items are sitting out in the store, for example on the store counters. They can be purchased from the merchant, or else can be stolen. Other items may also be present in the store, but those other items are not available for purchase. They respawn after ten days.
- Soul Gems: 1 Common Soul Gem
This is the merchandise found in Farengar's merchant chest. These items are only available if purchased from the merchant; they cannot be pickpocketed or stolen. They are restocked every two days.
|1||Complete set of Novice Spell Tomes|
|1||Complete set of Apprentice Spell Tomes|
|1||Complete set of Adept Destruction Spell Tomes||Only if PC's Destruction skill is at least 40|
|~4||Leveled Robes (enchanted)||Max 5 (5@75%)|
|~9||Leveled Scrolls||Max 12 (12@75%)|
|~15||Leveled Soul Gems (empty and full)||Max 20 (20@75%)|
- If you advance The Whispering Door far enough to be able to kill Farengar, and he is killed at some point before The Fallen, the other people involved in the interrogation sequence will react as if he were still alive (talking to him, etc.) despite the fact that he is dead.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Sometimes when using Farengar's arcane enchanter while he is sleeping in his bed in the next room, he may still comment on your enchanting progress as if he was awake.