Story Quests are the quests that form the main storyline of a zone. As of Update 21, all of a zone's non-missable story quests are listed in the Zone Story section of the Zone Guide. Any quest that is not part of the Zone Story is considered a Side Quest.
The storyline quests follow on from each other in a chain that will take you from one end of the zone to the other if you follow them in order; however, it is possible to complete a number of later quests in the chain without starting some of the quests that would otherwise come before them if followed in story order. To indicate this, quests in the story chain will either have a "Previous Quest" or a "Prerequisite Quest" listed in the header (sometimes both). A Prerequisite Quest is one which must be completed before that quest can be started; a Previous Quest is one which comes directly before such a quest in the chain, but is not required for that quest to start. Individual zone and alliance story charts represent this association visually.
- Aldmeri Dominion — All quests for the Aldmeri Dominion
- Daggerfall Covenant — All quests for the Daggerfall Covenant
- Ebonheart Pact — All quests for the Ebonheart Pact
- Army of Meridia — All shared quests in Coldharbour
- The Celestial Threat — Quests from the Star-Gazers of Craglorn
- The Sublime Plot — Quests from the Drake of Blades in the Imperial City
- Reforging Orsinium — Quests to help rebuild the ancient Orsimer kingdom
- A Lost Legacy — Quests to recover a powerful Argonian antiquity
Daedric War Storyline
The Daedric War Storyline is the second main story arc of Elder Scrolls Online. Unlike the Main Quest, it is not a single in-game questline; instead, it is an overarching story which spans multiple content updates in the form of DLC, Chapters, and free quests.
- Vivec's Divine Power — Quests to help Lord Vivec regain his lost powers
- Shadows of Knowledge — Quests to repel a Daedric invasion of Sotha Sil's domain
- Heart of Summerset — Quests to prevent the Daedric triad from taking control of the Crystal Tower
Season of the Dragon
- A Rage of Dragons — Quests to defeat the Euraxian and Draconic invaders of Anequina
- Reforming the Dragonguard — Quests to restore an ancient order and drive the dragons out of Pellitine
Dark Heart of Skyrim
The Dark Heart of Skyrim is the fourth main story arc of Elder Scrolls Online.
This chart shows the primary Alliance and Guild story chains, and their association with the progression of the Main Quest. Click through to each zone page for that zone's detailed story chart.
||Denotes a requisite path or quest. You must complete this before starting the subsequent quest.|
||Denotes an optional path or quest. The subsequent story quest can be started without this being completed.|
||Denotes an exclusive path or quest. Only one of the connected quests is required.|
||Denotes a quest which rewards a Skill Point.|