Skyrim:Thane of Haafingar
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Befriend the Jarl of Haafingar by completing her favor quest.
- Assist five people of Haafingar.
- Purchase Proudspire Manor.
- Return to the Jarl for your reward.
This is an umbrella quest for several other quests that must be completed if you wish to become Thane of Haafingar. The jarl requires you to buy the house in town as well as performing five favors for the townsfolk. Once this is achieved you can become Thane.
In order to receive this quest you must first aid the current jarl, Elisif the Fair, by investigating disturbances in a nearby cave and then completing her favor quest. Once you have completed the prerequisite, speak with the jarl again and she will ask you to assist the people of the hold. You must assist five people in the hold, usually by completing favor quests for them. Note that many of the quest givers are non-essential NPCs, so their deaths would result in a loss of potential quests to complete. If they die after you assist them, they still count towards your Thane status. You can also befriend merchants if you have the Investor perk by investing in their stores.
You must also purchase Proudspire Manor, which costs 25,000 gold. Simply purchasing it is enough, there is no requirement to decorate, although it becomes more useful if decorated.
Haafingar Favor Quests
Highlighted quests can be easily completed without any skill use. If any citizen offers multiple favour quests, only the first completed one will count towards Thaneship.
|Quest Giver||Giver Location||Quest||Objective(s)|
|Azzada Lylvieve||Dragon Bridge, Lylvieve Family's House||Gather Wheat: Get paid to gather crops. (radiant)|
|Horgeir||Dragon Bridge, Horgeir's House||Chop Wood: Get paid to chop firewood. (radiant)|
|Olda||Dragon Bridge, Horgeir's House||Dragon's Breath Mead: Retrieve the Dragon's Breath Mead and give it to either Olda or Horgeir.||
|Katla||Solitude Stables, Katla's Farm||Gather Wheat: Get paid to gather crops. (radiant)|
|Ahtar||Solitude, Jala's House||Kill the Bandit Leader: Do a favor by slaying a bandit leader. (radiant)||
|Angeline Morrard||Solitude, Angeline's Aromatics||No News is Good News: Find out about the fate of Angeline Morrard's daughter from Captain Aldis.||
|Captain Aldis||Solitude, Castle Dour||Rare Gifts: Do a favor by finding a rare item. (radiant)||
|Dervenin||Solitude, Temple of the Divines||Quest all Beggars Have: Take pity on a beggar. (radiant)|
|Evette San||Solitude, Evette San's House||The Spiced Wine: Convince Vittoria Vici to hand over some spices.||
|Giraud Gemane||Solitude, Bard's College||Rjorn's Drum: Retrieve a drum for Giraud Gemane.||
|Hjorunn||Solitude Sawmill||Chop Wood: Get paid to chop firewood. (radiant)|
|Inge Six Fingers||Solitude, Bard's College||Finn's Lute: Return an invaluable lute to Inge Six Fingers.||
|Noster Eagle-Eye||Solitude, The Winking Skeever||Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave. (radiant)||
|Quest all Beggars Have: Take pity on a beggar. (radiant)|
|Octieve San||Solitude, Evette San's House||A Few Words with You: Do a favor by talking to someone about a problem. (radiant)||
|Pantea Ateia||Solitude, Bard's College||Pantea's Flute: Find a missing flute for Pantea.||
|Sorex Vinius||Solitude, The Winking Skeever||Delivery: Deliver a bottle of Rum to Falk Firebeard.||
|Svari||Solitude, Addvar's House||Quest all Beggars Have: Take pity on a beggar. (radiant)|
|Sybille Stentor||Solitude, Blue Palace||Kill the Vampire: Do menial work for Sybille Stentor by assaulting a vampire lair.||
Investing 500 gold in certain stores will count towards Thaneship if you have not befriended the store's owner by other means. If the original owner dies and you had already invested in their store, you [can / cannot [verification needed]] also befriend their replacement.
|Merchant Name||Store Name||Store Location||Merchandise|
|Angeline Morrard (Vivienne Onis) [verification needed — investment bugged - does it affect Disposition?]||Angeline's Aromatics||Solitude||Apothecary|
|Endarie; Taarie [verification needed — does investment affect Disposition of one or both?]||Radiant Raiment||Solitude||Clothing, Jewelry|
|Fihada (Jawanan) [verification needed — investment bugged - does it affect Disposition?]||Fletcher||Solitude||Armor, Arrows, Tools, Weapons|
|Sayma||Bits and Pieces||Solitude||General|
|Sybille Stentor (Melaran)||Blue Palace||Solitude||Spells|
The following quests also increase the disposition of citizens of Haafingar, and therefore count towards this objective:
- The Man Who Cried Wolf: Investigate reports of strange happenings in Wolfskull Cave.
- Tending the Flames: Unveil the truth about a deceitful King and become a member of the Bards College.
- The Wolf Queen Awakened: Potema must be stopped.
After helping five inhabitants and purchasing Proudspire Manor, the journal tells you to return to the jarl. The reward, the Blade of Haafingar, is normally a random, leveled, enchanted sword or greatsword. Due to a bug, however, maces are also occasionally rewarded. You will also receive a housecarl named Jordis the Sword-Maiden, who will be waiting for you at Proudspire Manor.
- It was intended that Bryling could also give you this quest, suggesting that she was intended to be the Stormcloak Jarl of Haafingar.
- If the quest Tending the Flames is active, Elisif might not give the dialog option to start this quest until after the Tending the Flames quest is complete.
- If you complete all five favors before being given the quest to do so, the quest will not update correctly, leaving you with a journal entry "Assist the People of Haafingar 5/5".
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- To fix this, complete a sixth favor, such as the Tending the Flames quest, which will give you the message "Completed: Assist the People of Haafingar 6/5", thus allowing you to continue on as intended.
- Use the console command
player.setobjectivecompleted favorjarlsmakefriends 30 1to update it and remove it from your journal.
- When you become Thane of Haafingar under Imperial rule, the guards do not recognize you as such. There is no thane option to forgive you of petty crime. However Stormcloak guards in the same city do have this option.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If you become Thane of Haafingar while it is under Imperial rule, and it later is conquered by the Stormcloaks, you retain your Thane status and can use it to remove a bounty then.
- The quest may not track how many favors you have performed, making it impossible to complete the quest.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.5 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If you have the quest " Tending the Flames" active, Elisif will not give you the quest until you reach the stage where you need to speak to Jorn.
- Sometimes Jarl Elisif will not say anything about becoming the Thane of Haafingar, even after completing the Wolf Skull cave/Potema quests, placing her husband's horn at the shrine of Talos, and purchasing Proudspire Manor.
- Reloading a previous save may fix this.
|Thane of Haafingar (Favor252)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Purchase a house in Solitude
Objective 15: Return to <Alias.ShortName=QuestGiver>
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 15, 25, 200.