- "Once, I ruled this Realm, a world of perfect Order. My dominion expanded across the seas of Oblivion with each passing era." ―Jyggalag
Jyggalag is the Daedric Prince of Order, but until the Third Era not much was known about him in Tamriel beyond his name. His sphere represents logical order and deduction, and has taken account of every detail of the world and of every action that has ever taken place on Mundus or Oblivion, long before they actually happened. Jyggalag commands his own Daedra, the Knights of Order, which are spawned from obelisks summoned by his followers, the Priests of Order. He is viewed as bleak, stern, and colorless, with him and his soldiers lacking originality.
In the time before recorded history, Jyggalag's realm of perfect order expanded across the seas of Oblivion, and the other Daedric Princes had grown fearful and jealous of him. They cursed him to live as Sheogorath, the incarnation of the thing he hated most: madness. He was, however, allowed to return to his true form at the end of every era in order to retake the Shivering Isles from his mad alter-ego in an event known as the Greymarch. However, once this was done, Jyggalag transformed back into Sheogorath, starting the cycle again. Haskill claimed to be a vestige of a mortal who mantled Sheogorath in an event in a previous time, and claimed Jyggalag was involved in this. At the end of the Third Era, a mortal Champion of Sheogorath was given the chance to defeat Jyggalag, halting the Greymarch before he could conquer the realm. This released Jyggalag from his curse, allowing him to remain in his true form. The Champion then assumed Sheogorath's position as the Daedric Prince of Madness, and Jyggalag departed to roam the voids of Oblivion. Dyus presumed he may have sought revenge on those who cursed him, or pursued loftier goals, perhaps never to return to the Shivering Isles again.[UOL 1]
Though Sheogorath was very knowledgeable about Jyggalag's motivations and involvement in previous Greymarches, sometime in the Fourth Era,nb1 he suppressed his memory of his previous life as Jyggalag as it causes even him to go mad. The Dunmer Talym Rend defeated Sheogorath at his own game when he forced him to relive his memories as Jyggalag.
Dyus of Mytheria was the chamberlain of Jyggalag and the keeper of his Great Library. What exactly Mytheria refers to is unknown, though it may have been the name of Jyggalag's realm. A time came when Jyggalag decided a chamberlain was needed to take care of all the mundane affairs of running a realm, that task falling to Dyus, who did all the tasks Jyggalag found distasteful.[UOL 1] Sotha Sil noted that of all the Daedra, only the "Gray Prince of Order" knew his nature, and went mad in the knowing. It is said that the Daedra fear wisdom and order, and for his similarities to Jyggalag's principles, they feared Sotha Sil above all others.
The Sword of Jyggalag
The Sword of Jyggalag is a Daedric artifact created by Jyggalag, the Prince of Order. It takes the form of a giant claymore of perfect symmetry, made of a silver crystalline material that is similar to the longswords wielded by the Knights of Order. It has been compared to the Staff of Sheogorath, although it is unknown if the sword holds as much symbolic power. It has a unique enchantment that allows those that gaze upon its edge to see the past, present, and future flow as one.
The Sword of Jyggalag, as seen in Skyrim
- Ted Peterson said Jyggalag's name was thrown into On Oblivion to add an additional Daedric Prince in case Bethesda needed one down the road.[UOL 2]
- Author Waughin Jarth assumed that Morian Zenas's knowledge of Jyggalag as a Prince was a practical joke played on him by the other Princes.[UOL 3]
- One individual in the Second Era seemingly had knowledge of a connection between Jyggalag and Sheogorath.
- For more information see the Shivering Isles page.
- On Oblivion — Morian Zenas
- Darkest Divinities — Skald Skullsplitter
- Black-Scale's dialogue in ESO
- Dyus's dialogue in Shivering Isles
- Events of Shivering Isles
- Sheogorath's dialogue in Shivering Isles
- Haskill's dialogue in Shivering Isles
- Jyggalag's dialogue in Shivering Isles
- Chamberlain Haskill Answers Your Questions — Chamberlain Haskill
- Isles of Madness story in Legends
- Error message in Blades
- The Truth in Sequence: Volume 3 — Deldrise Morvayn
- Clockwork Jyggalag contraband item in ESO
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.
- Interview With Two Denizens of the Shivering Isles at the Imperial Library
- Ted Peterson's posts at the Imperial Library
- Interview With With Three Writers at the Imperial Library